Angelique Kidjo is an incredible vocalist, vigorous entertainer and human rights extremist. She is a UNICEF overall unselfishness negotiator, the primary African woman to be assigned in 2002.
Likewise, she is a (4) four-time Grammy grant victor and probably the best craftsman in universal music. She has been one of the best entertainers to develop on world music stages during the 1990s and 2000s.
Her music draws from African conventions as well as deciphers the manners in which those customs created after Africans were seized and taken to the New World.
In this way components of American soul, funk, rap, and jazz, Brazilian samba, Jamaican reggae, and Cuban and Puerto Rican salsa all appear on her chronicles, alongside different African styles. From the get-go in her profession she revealed to Guardian columnist Jonathan Romney that “my records sound like move music since that is the main route for Europeans to move toward something they don’t have the foggiest idea,” and as she developed into one of the worldwide music scene’s most well known show attractions, she aggregated a huge fan base that joyfully went ahead stage and hit the dance floor with her.
Angelique Kidjo Biography
Angélique Kpasseloko Hinto Hounsinou Kandjo Manta Zogbin Kidjo Known as Angelique Kidjo was conceived on July 14, 1960, in Ouidah, Benin into the group of nine. Her dad is of Fon plunge, and the mother from Yoruba cause.
In this way, because of her experience, she is multilingual; familiar with French, English and three other African dialects including Fon and Yoruba. Additionally, both her folks were engaged with music; her dad was an artist, and her mom a choreographer and theater chief.
Accordingly, at a youthful age of 6, Kidjo was at that point performing with her mom’s theater troupe, along these lines giving her an early thankfulness for customary music and move. Likewise, she was singing in her school band, Les Sphinx and when she developed more established, she sang in her sibling’s stone mood and blues band.
As a young person, Kidjo discovered achievement when her adjustment of Mariam Makeba’s Les Trois Z was played on the national radio. At age 20, she was at that point an expert artist.
Kidjo was roused by assortments of music from African craftsmen, for example, Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Wonder and Otis Redding, Fela Kuti, James Brown, and numerous others.
Angelique Kidjo Education
Continuing political conflicts in Benin prevented her from being an independent artist in her own country so she relocated to Paris in 1983. To Further her Education and also work on her Musical Career.
While working various day jobs to pay for her tuition, Angelique Kidjo studied music at the CIM, a reputable jazz school in Paris.
Angelique Kidjo Career
In 1983, when she moved to Paris because of political distress in Benin that kept her from being a free craftsman in her own nation.
Initially, she began as a back-up vocalist in some nearby groups. At that point, in 1985, she turned into the front vocalist for Jasper Van’t Hof’s Euro-African jazz/rock outfit Pili. At Pili, three collections were discharged; Jakko (1987), Be In Two Minds (1988,) and Hotel Babo (1990).
At that point, in 1988, Angelique recorded a collection, Pretty. It was with a Cameroonian maker Ekambi Brilliant and her sibling Oscar. It included the tunes “Ninive”, “Gbe Agossi” a tribute to the vocalist Bella Bellow, one of her good examples. The collection turned into a triumph and accordingly, made her visit all over West Africa.
In this way, she discharged the independent collection Parakou during the 1990s for the Open Jazz mark. At that point, in view of both her performance record and work with Pili, she went to the consideration of Island Records’ Chris Blackwell who marked her in 1991. Likewise, she recorded four collections for Island until Blackwell’s takeoff from the name. In 2000, she was marked by Columbia Records, New York, and she recorded two collections there.
Thusly, she started to record other hit collections.
Angelique Kidjo Relationship
While in Paris, Angelique met Jean Hebrial. Jean is a French performer and Producer who helped her with melodic creations. Because of the strong bond between them, they got married in 1987. At that point, in 1993, they brought forth their little girl, Naimat Hebrial Kidjo.
Naimat is an on-screen character, essayist and a wellspring of motivation to her mom.
Angelique Kidjo Albums
Angelique has acted in a few neighborhood and worldwide shows, for example, the Carnegie Hall, NYC, The UN General Assembly, Nobel Peace Prize service and numerous others. She has likewise performed before high profiled people on the planet. She has delivered a few collections, hit singles, recordings, and soundtracks for TV shows, films, and narratives.
Her collections incorporate;
- Pretty, 1981
- Parakou, 1989
- Logozo, 1991
- Aye, 1994
- Fifa, 1996
- Oremi, 1998
- Black Ivory Soul, 2002
- Oyaya, 2004
- Djin Djin, 2007
- Oyo, 2010
- Spirit Rising, 2012
- Eve, 2014
- Sings with the Ochestre Philharmonique Du Luxemborg, 2015
- Remain in Light, 2018
- Celia, 2019
Angelique Kidjo Books and Foundation (The Batonga Foundation)
In 2014, she discharged her first book, a diary title Spirit Rising: My Life, My Music. Additionally, she discharged the book; La voix est le miroir de l’ame.
Angelique Kidjo is additionally a dissident, she’s energetic about ladies and young ladies’ instruction. Beside being the UNICEF global altruism represetative and hero of a few battles, she helped to establish The Batonga Foundation. The establishment was made in 2006 with Mary Louise Cohen and John R. Philips.
Essentially, it tries to arrive at young ladies and young ladies in Benin with the information and abilities they should be operators of progress in their own lives and networks. It underpins essential, optional and higher foundation for young ladies in Africa. Additionally, it gives grant awards, manufactures optional schools, expands enlistment, improves showing guidelines, gives school supplies, underpins tutor programs, investigates elective training models and supporters for network familiarity with the estimation of instruction for young ladies.
The name Batonga originated from one of the tunes sang by Kidjo. Additionally, the activity has a few cooperating association which underpins its crucial.
Angelique Kidjo Awards
Angelique Kidjo is a multi-grant winning artist lyricist. She has gotten a few neighborhood and universal acknowledgment.
Some of it incorporate;
- Prix Decouverte RFI SACEM, 1991
- Octave RFI, 1992
- Prix Afrique en Creation, 1992
- Danish Music Awards, Best Female Singer, 1995
- Kora Music Awards, Best African Female Artist, 1997
- MOBO Awards, Best World Music Act, 2002
- Medaille De Vermeil De La Ville De Paris, 2004
- Africa-Festival Award, 2006
- SAFDA African Pride Award, 2006
- Crystal Award, World Economic Forum, 2015
- Conscience Award, Amnesty International Ambassador, 2016
- Antonio Carlos Jobim Award, 2007
- N.A.A.C.P Image Award for Outstanding World Music Album, 2008
- Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album, 2008
- Go Global World Music Award, 2008
- Medal of the Presidency of the Italian Republic, 2008
- Commander of the National Order of Benin, 2008
- National Council for Research on Women, 2009
- Afropop Hall of Fame, 2009
- New York Women’s Foundation, 2009
- Premio Tenco Prize, 2009
- Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, 2010
- Grand Prix Des Musiques Du Monde De La Sacem, 2010
- Grammy nomination for Best Contemporary World Music Album, 2011
- Prix Special de la Francophonie, 2011
- Champions of the Earth Award, 2011
- Miroir Awards, World Music of the Festival d’ete de Quebec, 2012
- Trophee Des Arts, FIAF French Institute, Alliance Francaise, 2012
- Keep A Child Alive’s Award for Outstanding Humanitarian Work with Oprah Winfrey, 2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the African Diaspora Awards, 2012
- Songlines Music Awards, Best Artist Category, 2013
- Confederation Internationale des Societes d’Auteurs et Compositeurs (CISAC), 2013
- Arms Around the Child Award, 2014
- The Dag Hammerskjold Fund, 2014
- All African Music Awards, 2014
- Visionary Leadership Award, 2015
- Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album, 2015
- Mappie Award, 2015
- David Rockefeller Bridging Leadership Award, 2015
- Impact Award, Population Council Organization, 2015
- Grammy Award, Best Contemporary World Music Album, Sings, 2015
- All Africa Leadership Award, 2016
- Ambassador of Conscience Award, Amnesty International, 2016
- Officer of the Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, 2016
- African Movie Academy Awards, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, 2017
- Grand Prix Des Musiques Du Monde, 2017
- Charles de Ferry de Fontnouvelle Award, 2018
- Prix De L’Artiste Citoven, 2018
- First World Pioneer Award, Songlines Magazine Music Awards, 2018
- German Sustainability Award, 2018
- Musicultura Unimarche Prize, Universities of Macerata and Camerino, 2019
- Commandeur de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, 2019
- Distinguished Artist Award, International Society for the Performing Arts, 2020
- Best World Music Album, 62 Annual Grammy Awards, 2020
Beside a few different Nomination s, her collections; Djin, Eve, Sings and Celia won the Grammy Awards in 2008, 2015, 2016 and 2020 separately.
Angelique Kidjo Recognitions
- Africa’s premier Diva, Time Magazine, 2007
- 50 Most Iconic figures on the continent, BBC Africa, 2010
- One of the Top 100 Most Inspiring Women in art film, music and fashion The Guardian, 2011
- First woman among the 40 Most powerful Celebrities in Africa, Forbes Magazine, 2011
- The Undisputed Queen of African music, Daily Telegraph, 2012
- Africa’s greatest living diva, National Public Radio (NPR), 2013
- Most Influential Africans, New African Magazine & Jeune Afrique, 2014
- 100 most influential women, Forbes Afrique, 2015
Angelique Kidjo Honorary Doctorates Degree
The following institutions have honored Kidjo with an honorary doctorate degree;
- Yale University
- Berklee College of Music
- Middlebury College
- UCLouvain University
Angelique Kidjo Net Worth
Angelique Kidjo was born on the 14th of July 1960, She’s best known as a Soul Singer. The Grammy-winning Beninese singer has an estimated net worth of $5million.
Angelique Kidjo Social Media Handles
You Can Connect;
Does this post interest you? Please don’t forget to follow our blog and also follow us on social media for daily updates in Africa.
Contact us if you want your biography online.